How to Apply
Step 1: Determine If You Are Eligible
- Applicants must currently be in the 9th or 10th grade.
- It is the policy of the Alabama School ofÂ Mathematics and Science to enroll only students who are legal residents of the State of Alabama.
Step 2:Â Complete an Online Application
- Click here to start your online application.Â
- Create a profile thought the ASMS Parent Dashboard by providing all your basic contact information.
- AIMS Campers â�� Yes, you do need to create a new account. This profile will be specific forÂ your application to ASMS.
- Returning ASMS Parents â�� No, you do not need to create a new account if you currently have a student enrolled at ASMS. Log into the Parent Dashboard and click â��My Account.â�� At the top, you will see the option to â��Add studentâ�¦â��
- After creating your profile, clickÂ the ENROLLMENTÂ tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard. Then, click apply for 2017 to submit your initial application.
Step 3:Â Complete Online Essays
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard to seeÂ the student and parent questions/essay forms. Please submit your essay forms as soon as possible.
Step 4:Â Take the ACT by February 2017
Register hereÂ to takeÂ the ACT.
- All applicants must take the ACT during your sophomore or junior year as part of the application process.
- ASMS does not require the writingÂ portion of the ACT.
- Only score reports from tests administered on the following dates will be accepted:
- October 22, 2016
- December 10, 2016
- February 11, 2017
- To ensure that test results are sent directly to the ASMSÂ Admissions Office, please use the ASMS ACT Code 4707.
Step 5:Â Download Two Teacher Recommendation Forms
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard to see the two teacher recommendation forms.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to download both recommendation forms and ask their teachers to complete an evaluation on their behalf.
- One form must be completed by a math or science teacher, and the second form must be completed by another academic teacher.
- Your teachers must fax, email, or mail theÂ recommendation form back to the ASMS Admissions Office. Once ASMS receives the forms, the form status on the Parent Dashboard will change to â��received.â��
- All forms must be received by February 3, 2017.
Step 6:Â Submit Academic RecordsÂ with 2016 First SemesterÂ Grades
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard toÂ download the Request for Academic Records form and Discipline Record Form.
- The two forms should be given to your school at the END of the first semester.
- Your academic and discipline records should be mailed to the ASMS Admissions Office by February 3, 2017.
Step 7:Â Attend an Informational Meeting
- ASMS representatives travel to cities throughout Alabama and hold informationalÂ meetingsÂ during the month of October.
- Meetings will be held in the following locations:
- Anniston, Auburn, Birmingham, Enterprise, Huntsville, Livingston, Mobile, Monroeville, Montgomery, Selma, Thomasville, Troy, and Tuscaloosa
- Register for an informational meeting by clicking here.
Step 8:Â AttendÂ Preview Day
- Preview Day is an annual event designed to showcase ASMS to prospective students and parents.
- This year, the event will take place on Saturday, November 12 and Saturday, December 3.
- Parents and potential students will have an opportunity to tour the campus and take part in classroom demonstrations. ASMS student Ambassadors will lead your group to these various demonstrations and answer any questions you have.
- Register for Preview DayÂ by clicking here.
Follow your progress
Applicants will be able to follow their progress during the admissions process using the ASMS Parent Dashboard
. The FORMS tab on the Parent Dashboard is a great place to check and see if your forms have been received.