Any current Alabama 9th or 10th grader can apply September 1, 2019 to the Alabama School of Math and Science for the 2020-2021 school year using a free online application.
How to Apply
Students are selected through a competitive process that considers the applicant’s academic success, maturity, and activities. Applications are due February 14, 2020. Promising candidates will be interviewed on the ASMS campus in early 2020. Finalists from this group will be offered admission by mid April.
All parts of the student application are reviewed by the ASMS Admissions Committee. Please note, the committee review process is strictly confidential.
APPLICATION FOR 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR WILL BE POSTED SEPTEMBER 1, 2019.
In order to complete the application process, potential students must complete all requirements within the below time frame:
Determine if you are Eligible
- Applicants must currently be in the 9th or 10th grade.
- It is the policy of the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science to enroll only students who are legal residents of the State of Alabama.
Start your Application
- Applications can be started September 1, 2019.
- More information to come soon.
Register for the ACT
- Register here to take the ACT.
- All applicants must take the ACT during your sophomore or junior year as part of the application process. No previous scores will be accepted.
- ASMS does not require the writing portion of the ACT.
- Only score reports from tests administered on the following dates will be accepted:
- September 14, 2019
- October 26, 2019
- December 14, 2019
- February 8, 2020
- To ensure that test results are sent directly to the ASMS Admissions Office, use the ASMS ACT Code 4707.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to download both recommendation forms and ask their teachers to complete an evaluation on their behalf.
- One form must be completed by a current Math or Science teacher.
- The second form must be completed by a current English or History teacher.
- We do not accept forms from previous school years.
- Your teachers must fax, email, or mail the recommendation form back to the ASMS Admissions Office. Once ASMS receives the forms, the form status online will change.
- All forms must be received by February 14, 2020.
- Download the Request for Academic Records Form and Discipline Record Form.
- The two forms should be given to your school at the END of the first semester of the year you are applying.
- Your official academic and discipline records should be mailed to the ASMS Admissions Office by February 14, 2020.
Keep up with the Progress
- Applicants can follow their progress online during the admissions process.
- All applicant forms and documents must be submitted by February 14, 2020.
- The FORMS tab on the dashboard is a great place to check and see if forms have been received by the ASMS Admissions Office.
- If the status says ‘not received’ for a document or form that you have requested to be sent to ASMS, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to interviews between February and March 2020.
- ASMS representatives travel to cities throughout Alabama and hold informational meetings during the month of October.
- Meeting locations will be posted online September 1, 2019.
- If you are unable to attend an informational meeting this October, you can still apply. We encourage your to register to attend ASMS Day (dates to be shared soon).
- ASMS Day is an annual event designed to showcase ASMS to prospective students and parents.
- Parents and potential students will have an opportunity to tour the campus and take part in classroom demonstrations. ASMS student Ambassadors will lead your group to these various demonstrations and answer any questions you have.
- AIMS Campers – We realize you have attended our summer camp and experienced ASMS as a camper, but we highly encourage AIMS families to come to ASMS Day if you are considering applying to the school.