Any current Alabama 9th or 10th grader can apply September 1, 2019 to the Alabama School of Math and Science for the 2020-2021 school year using a free online application.
How to Apply
Students are selected through a competitive process that considers the applicant’s academic success, maturity, and activities. Applications are due February 14, 2020. Promising candidates will be interviewed on the ASMS campus in early 2020. Finalists from this group will be offered admission by mid April.
All parts of the student application are reviewed by the ASMS Admissions Committee. Please note, the committee review process is strictly confidential.
The link to apply can be found in the APPLY NOW section below.
Determine if you are eligible
- Applicants must currently be in the 9th or 10th grade.
- It is the policy of the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science to enroll only students who are legal residents of the State of Alabama.
Start your application
- Once you create your account, you will receive an email to setup your account password.
- Once you have your password setup, you can login to the admissions database. You will be taken directly to the ASMS Application at that point.
- Once you complete the online application, revisit your online profile to see the Admissions Progress page and your Checklist will be assigned within 3 business days.
- Your Admissions Progress page and Checklist will include all forms needed to be considered a complete applicant.
Register for an October Informational Meeting in a town near you
- ASMS representatives travel to more than 20 cities throughout Alabama and hold informational meetings during the month of October.
- Click here to see dates, times, locations, and registration.
Come see ASMS in action
- ASMS Day is an annual event designed to showcase ASMS to prospective students and parents.
- Parents and potential students will have an opportunity to tour the campus and take part in classroom demonstrations. ASMS student Ambassadors will lead your group to these various demonstrations and answer any questions you have.
- AIMS Campers – We realize you have attended our summer camp and experienced ASMS as a camper, but we highly encourage AIMS families to come to ASMS Day if you are considering applying to the school.
- ASMS Day will be held Saturday, Nov. 16 and Saturday, Dec. 7.
- Click here to registration for ASMS Days.
Register for the ACT
- Register here to take the ACT. You do not have to register to take the ACT through your current school. You can do it online through the ACT website.
- All applicants must take the ACT during the current school year. No previous scores will be accepted.
- ASMS does not require the writing portion of the ACT.
- Only score reports from tests administered on the following dates will be accepted:
- September 14, 2019 (Register by Aug. 16)
- October 26, 2019 (Register by Sept. 20)
- December 14, 2019 (Register by Nov. 8)
- February 8, 2020 (Register by Jan. 10)
- To ensure that test results are sent directly to the ASMS Admissions Office, use the ASMS ACT Code 4707.
Complete applicant essay in online profile
- Once students start an online application, they are required to submit an essay in response to the prompt given. Once you create an applicant account, visit the “Admissions Progress” page to access the prompt in your Checklist.
Find two current teachers to complete recommendations
- Once you start your online application, you will be given access to a “Checklist” to complete required applicant forms.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to download both recommendation forms and ask their teachers to complete an evaluation on their behalf.
- One form must be completed by a current Math or Science teacher.
- The second form must be completed by a current English or History teacher.
- We do not accept forms from previous school years.
- Your teachers must fax, email, or mail the recommendation form back to the ASMS Admissions Office. Once ASMS receives the forms, the form status online will change.
- All forms must be received by February 14, 2020.
Academic and Discipline records request
- Download the Academic Records Form and Discipline Record Form from the online application checklist.
- The two forms should be given to your school at the END of the first semester of the year you are applying.
- Your official academic and discipline records should be mailed to the ASMS Admissions Office by February 14, 2020.
Keep up with your progress online
- Applicants can follow their progress online during the admissions process. Visit your online applicant profile and Admissions Progress page regularly.
- All applicant forms and documents must be submitted by February 14, 2020.
- The Checklist in the online application is a great place to check and see if forms have been received by the ASMS Admissions Office.
- If the status says ‘not received’ for a document or form that you have requested to be sent to ASMS, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to interviews between February and March 2020.