Any current Alabama 9th or 10th grader can apply now to the Alabama School of Math and Science for the 2017-2018 school year using a free online application. Click here to learn more.
How to Apply
Students are selected through a competitive process that considers the applicant’s academic success, maturity, and activities. Applications are due February 14, 2018. Promising candidates will be interviewed on the ASMS campus in early 2018. Finalists from this group will be offered admission the first week of April.
In order to complete the 2017-2018 application process, potential students must complete all requirements within the below time frame:
Step 1: Determine If You Are Eligible
- Applicants must currently be in the 9th or 10th grade.
- It is the policy of the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science to enroll only students who are legal residents of the State of Alabama.
Step 2: Complete an Online Application
- Click here to start your online application.
- Create a profile thought the ASMS Parent Dashboard by providing all your basic contact information.
- AIMS Campers – Yes, you do need to create a new account. This profile will be specific for your application to ASMS.
- Returning ASMS Parents – No, you do not need to create a new account if you currently have a student enrolled at ASMS. Log into the Parent Dashboard and click “My Account.” At the top, you will see the option to “Add student…”
- Check your email for login information.
- Log into the Parent Dashboard and visit the FORMS menu to start submitting your forms.
Step 3: Complete Online Essays
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard to see the student and parent questions/essay forms. Please submit your essay forms as soon as possible.
Step 4: Take the ACT by February 2018
- Register here to take the ACT.
- All applicants must take the ACT during your sophomore or junior year as part of the application process.
- ASMS does not require the writing portion of the ACT.
- Only score reports from tests administered on the following dates will be accepted:
- October 28, 2017
- December 9, 2017
- February 10, 2018
- To ensure that test results are sent directly to the ASMS Admissions Office, please use the ASMS ACT Code 4707.
Step 5: Download Two Teacher Recommendation Forms
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard to see the two teacher recommendation forms.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to download both recommendation forms and ask their teachers to complete an evaluation on their behalf.
- One form must be completed by a math or science teacher, and the second form must be completed by another academic teacher.
- Your teachers must fax, email, or mail the recommendation form back to the ASMS Admissions Office. Once ASMS receives the forms, the form status on the Parent Dashboard will change to “received.”
- All forms must be received by February 14, 2018.
Step 6: Submit Academic Records with 2017 First Semester Grades
- Visit the FORMS tab at the top of the Parent Dashboard to download the Request for Academic Records form and Discipline Record Form.
- The two forms should be given to your school at the END of the first semester.
- Your academic and discipline records should be mailed to the ASMS Admissions Office by February 14, 2018.
Step 7: Attend an Informational Meeting
- ASMS representatives travel to cities throughout Alabama and hold informational meetings during the month of October.
- Meetings will be held in the following locations:
- Anniston, Auburn, Birmingham, Enterprise, Huntsville, Livingston, Mobile, Monroeville, Montgomery, Selma, Thomasville, Troy, and Tuscaloosa
- Register for an informational meeting by clicking here.
Step 8: Attend ASMS Day
- ASMS Day is an event designed to showcase ASMS to prospective students and parents.
- The event will take place on Saturday, November 11 and Saturday, December 2.
- Parents and potential students will have an opportunity to tour the campus and take part in classroom demonstrations. ASMS student Ambassadors will lead your group to these various demonstrations and answer any questions you have.
- Register for ASMS Day by clicking here. (registration form link will be active soon)
Follow your progress